With the sun not going to bed until 9:45 lately, I find myself snacking away on all the healthiest foods late at night, like potato chips, brownies, all the toast with butter, you name it. SUPER healthy right? The problem is, I find myself dying from sweet tooth syndrome anywhere past 8 pm. Since it's still light out after 9 and feels like it's barely 5, I jump right into the junk food. Solution? A little bit of sweet with a healthy mix of oats, coconut, and chia seeds. Dark Chocolate Cherry Granola to the rescue!
I love having homemade granola around the house for a quick bite to eat late at night or in between work and the gym. Not too heavy but calms the stomach down. This Dark Chocolate Cherry Granola is perfect to put on top of yogurt or with a splash of milk for a healthy sweet tooth alternative so you're not grabbing that bag of cookies after 8 o' clock!
PS, Did I mention it's vegan? I use coconut oil and even sprinkle it with chia seeds so you can truly say you've got a healthy snack, chocolate chunks and all!Print
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together oats, brown sugar, allspice and salt.
- Add honey, molasses and coconut oil. Stir together until completely mixed.
- Spread the granola mixture onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 35 minutes, stirring and rotating the pan after 20 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup coconut flakes and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from oven, stir in chocolate, cherries, chia seeds and the remaining coconut flakes and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight jar and enjoy with yogurt, milk, or just as a snack!