- 3 lb boneless beef chuck roast
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 5 medium red potatoes, halved and then quartered lengthwise
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into inch long pieces
- 1 yellow onion, halved and then quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 4 bay leaves
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 lb green beans
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Coarse salt
- Ground black pepper
- Pat chuck roast dry. Liberally season with salt and pepper and dredge with flour on both sides.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Sear chuck roast on each side for 3-4 minutes, until browned.
- Meanwhile, pour beef broth and wine into the slow cooker. Add potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, shallot, bay leaves, and thyme sprigs.
- Place seared roast on top of vegetables in slow cooker.
- Cover with lid and turn on high for 3 1/2 hours.
- After 3 1/2 hours, add green beans and cook for another 1/2 hour, until roast falls apart with a fork. Turn the slow cooker to a “warming” setting.
- When the roast is finished cooking and is warming, Heat a small sauce pot over medium high heat. Remove 1 cup of liquid from the slow cooker and pour into the pot.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 tablespoon of flour, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened to preferred consistency. Add salt to taste.
- Pour gravy over pot roast, top with the other tablespoon of butter, and serve on top of vegetables.