It's a new year everyone! A new year with new resolutions. Anybody else have a resolution that has something to do with, well, "eat better" for lack of a better phrase? Basically, my winter weight from LAST winter is still hanging around sooooo let's fix this yes? To be frank, I'm making changes but some pretty simple, easy ones:
1. Stop ordering in so much on week nights. Uuuum duh. You'd think for a chef and a food blogger this wouldn't be an issue. Who knew right? As much as I love cooking, that couch over there with the netflix on tv and Ms. Calypso on the arm rest is looking miiiiighty cozy...But! I shall persevere! I've decided ordering in has become a weekend luxury this year.
2. Breakfast. Only an issue during the work week but still. HOW many bagels with cream and jam does a person need? (ALL of them really but that's besides the point). This little dilemma brings me to this post's subject: the Orange Cranberry Muffin Smoothie. That's right friends. Smoothies galore!!! Remember that whole tirade I had over the summer at Dan about how I dont doooo smoothies* and then I was proved horribly wrong? (Tropical Summer Fruit Smoothie*). Not only are they delicious, they are quick, easy, and WAY more healthy than a bagel and cream cheese.
OK guys. Let's do this. Orange Cranberry Muffin Smoothie to the New Years resolution rescue!
PS. My new healthy kick in no way keeps my comfort food recipes from happening on a daily basis so don't fret! Just not every one of my own personal meals :-). I've got a delicious fetticini alfredo pasta dish coming your way in the next week so stay tuned!Print
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and pulled apart into segments
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- In a blender, pour in the yogurt and the low-fat milk. Add the oats, orange segments, sliced banana, and dried cranberries.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes, until mixture is smooth.
- Pour into glass and enjoy chilled.
Make the night before for an easy on-the-go breakfast! Pour the smoothie into mason jars and seal with lids, placing in the fridge overnight.