Have you ever made chili and tried to eat it without cornbread? I have. It’s a sad, depressing thing. As much as I love a good chili, cornbread just makes it that much better. Time to jazz up classic cornbread with a little (ok a lot of) cheese and a maybe a little honey butter…AKA Cheesy Cornbread with Jalapeño Chili Honey Butter!
I am, by no means, a cornbread “purist”. GIMME that cheese and drizzly honey topping! For this particular recipe, I couldn’t stop at just cheddar cheese. Nooope. We’ve also got some mozzarella and even some parmesan thrown into the mix! Also, just to make them even more decadent, there’s definitely a decent amount of buttermilk.
SO GOOD right? Get excited.
Let’s talk about that swanky butter addition for a quick sec. Instead of putting jalapeño straight into my cheesy cornbread, I opted to infuse a little butter and a lotta honey with it instead. Plus some red chilis because more heat, more flavors = 👊🏻. This honey butter can get quite hot though, so if you’re worried about too much spice factor, remove as many of the seeds from both peppers as you want to tailor it to your tastes.
Not sure what to pair this awesomely cheesy cornbread with (apart from it’s jalapeño chili honey butter of course)? Try my all time favorite Slow Cooker Three Bean Chili and you’ll see what I mean. A good chili, made EVEN better, by a fantastical corn bread. Recipe coming your way!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 1 red chili pepper, sliced
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pinch of coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Grease a 9X13 baking dish or a large oven safe skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until thoroughly mixed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together butter, egg and buttermilk.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture until just combined.
- Add cheeses and stir until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until top is golden and a toothpick, when inserted in the middle, comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- While the cornbread is baking, make the Jalapeño Chili Honey Butter: In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Stir in honey and salt and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in chili and jalapeño and simmer another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cut cornbread into desired shape and size. Drizzle with jalapeño chili honey butter. Serve warm.
If you make this recipe, please be sure to take a photo and tag it with #aberdeenskitchen. I can't wait to see what you cook up!