You guys! Spicy Chipotle Egg Breakfast Sandwiches! They make breakfast the BEST meal of the day. For real though. My breakfast usually consists of some form of toast, cereal, smoothie, or nothing at all really till I realize “oh snap!” its 11:15, should probably have some sustenance this morning.
Well. I would never forget to eat one of these Spicy Chipotle Egg Breakfast Sandwiches. Even though I’m not big on breakfast, I’ve actually always been a sucker for breakfast sandwiches. When McDonald’s announced “breakfast all day” I absolutely flipped out. Sausage Egg McMuffins and hashbrowns ALL DAY?? It has taken all of my self control to not end up there pretty much every day of my life.
Which is where these Spicy Chipotle Egg Breakfast Sandwiches come in to play. EASY peezy recipe, and you can skip the MickeyDee’s line slash calories and whoknowswhat ingredients. Win win! Instead of the traditional soft poached egg, I went for an egg scramble to add extra veggies for a little bit of healthy twist.
Now about that easy peezy bit. I’ve tried six ways to Sunday to make the egg part, including some horrendous pan versions, (just don’t even) and by far the easiest way is to bake the eggs. Combine the eggs and veggies in a large bowl, pour into a prepared casserole dish, bake, and boom! Cut out desired shapes with a cookie cutter and throw them on a toasted english muffin. Top with some cooked bacon (which I also do in the oven, SO much less mess and you can do it at the same time as the eggs!) and a tasty, simple, food processor made spicy chipotle sauce.
These Spicy Chipotle Egg Breakfast Sandwiches could literally not be easier or less of a mess. Trust me, you’re going to love these. If it’s not already, breakfast will be your favorite meal before you know it!
- 1 cup cheddar and monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onion, thinly sliced
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 8 raw bacon strips
- 4 english muffins, cut in half
- 1 chipotle in adobo, most seeds removed (can slowly add back in until you reach desired spicy level)
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9X13 casserole dish.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and lay bacon strips on top. Place in refrigerator until ready to bake.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, bell pepper, green onion, cilantro, ½ cup of the shredded cheese blend, and black pepper until combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Put both the casserole dish and the bacon sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until eggs are set and bacon is cooked to desired crispiness. Put English muffins in the oven for the last 3-4 minutes to toast.
- While the bacon and the eggs are cooking, make the Chipotle sauce: Add Chipotle adobo pepper, Chipotle adobo sauce, garlic, yogurt and cilantro to the food processor and pulse until completely combined. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
- Remove bacon to a surface lined with paper towels. Cover with another paper towel and set aside.
- Using a knife or a cookie cutter, cut circles out of the egg scramble casserole that are about the same size as the english muffins.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Place one egg scramble circle on one half of a freshly toasted english muffin. Add a sprinkle of the remaining cheese and then spread a large dollop of Chipotle sauce on top. Add a couple bacon strips and garnish with fresh cilantro. Top with the other half of the english muffin and serve immediately.
If you make this recipe, please be sure to take a photo and tag it with #aberdeenskitchen. I can't wait to see what you cook up!