Made some orange soup. It's Halloween tomorrow and we've had some AMAZING blustery autumn weather so it had been done (sorrynotsorry). Sweet potato apple soup coming at you!
Also, let it be known there is NO pumpkin to be found in this recipe. Told you I could do it! I do appreciate that I still managed to madke orange soup though 😂.
Awesome Things About Creamy Sweet Potato Apple Soup
It's made ALL in one pot! How fantastic is that?? Oh and it's done in just 30 minutes. 30 MINUTES! Gotta love that for busy weeknights.
My secret to making soup in one pot is the use of an immersion blender. It might just be my favorite kitchen accessory. If you don't have one and need to use a regular blender, the Vitamix blender is my go to. Just be careful when blending hot soup in a standing blender! See the notes in the recipe below for more info.
Tip: Use both sweet potatoes and yams for this soup. YES they are different things. Yams are the orangish red ones with a sweeter flavor. Sweet potatoes are much lighter, almost yellow in color with a more savory taste.
Grab the recipe below 👊🏻!
This delicious, comforting autumn inspired soup is chock full of veggies and all done in one pot in just 30 minutes. Vegan and gluten free!
- 3 large sweet potatoes (about 1 ½ lbs), peeled and largely diced into 1 inch pieces
- 3 large yams (about 1 ½ lbs), peeled and largely diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium granny smith apples, cored and diced (I left the peels on)
- ½ yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 celery ribs, peeled and diced (about ½ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste OR 1 ½ teaspoons ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground smoked paprika
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple cider (optional - can substitute with another cup of vegetable broth)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (optional - can substitute with another cup of vegetable broth)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh parsley and cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Coarse salt, and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Ground cayenne pepper, chili pepper flakes as desired for spice
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook until somewhat softened and onion is starting to become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, stirring frequently, and cook for 1 more minute, until fragrant.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Add sweet potatoes, yams, apples, ginger, paste, fresh sage, ground coriander, and ground paprika. Stir to coat.
- Pour in broth and apple cider if using. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook 10 minutes, until sweet potatoes and yams are easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove from heat. Add remaining vegetable broth or coconut milk if using.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer to a stand blender* and blend until completely smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and parsley. Serve immediately.
If using a standing blender, definitely let the soup cool somewhat. Boiling hot soup + a lid on standing blender will cause the lid to fly off when you start blending..