This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Who says French toast has to be sweet? Try this easy savory French toast and TRUST me, you may never go back!
Swap out the cinnamon for pepper, nutmeg for salt, maple syrup for pesto, and powdered sugar for fresh herbs. Add a dash of sriracha and a side of burst cherry tomatoes and we are in business.
Plus, it's super easy! You make savory French toast the same way as the standard sugary concoction: dip a slice of bread in the egg mixture, cook up in the skillet with butter (yummmm) until golden brown. The only difference is tossing some tomatoes into the pan. It makes the most delicious pan sauce.
Oh and make sure to sprinkle with some fresh basil and thyme. Add a drizzle of pesto for extra yums!
Ready to try a new way to brunch? Savory French toast recipe below 😎.Print
Easy Savory French Toast
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
Who says French toast has to be sweet? Try this new take on the classic breakfast food with fresh herbs, burst cherry tomatoes, a dollop of pesto, and a drizzle of sriracha.
- 8 slices Brioche or Challah bread
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Dash of Sriracha (more or less as desired - I used about a teaspoon)
- 4-6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, roughly minced
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes
- Store bought or homemade pesto for serving
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, sriracha, and one tablespoon of the fresh basil.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- When butter is melted, dip bread slices one at a time into the egg mixture, and place into the hot pan with a handful of the tomatoes (try and cook at least 2 or 3 at a time - about 2-3 pieces of bread per tablespoon butter). Using a spatula, flip bread slices over after about 2 minutes (until golden brown), cook the other side for another 2 minutes, and move the tomatoes around a little bit. Remove French toast and tomatoes from the pan.
- Repeat this process, pouring out burnt butter and adding fresh, until all the bread and tomatoes are cooked.
- Sprinkle French toast and tomatoes with fresh basil and thyme. Drizzle with some pesto, sriracha as desired, and some fresh ground black pepper/salt to taste.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Literally was dreaming of making savory French toast the other day but didn't know where to start. This recipe came at the perfect time. It's for sure going to be hitting the dinner table this week.😍