It's been CRAZY warm here, I have no idea what's going on. Apparently there's been blizzards in the north eastern US and Europe while in the PNW we've had dog days of summer style heat. Kid you not, it was 80 degrees yesterday. In April. That might not seem hot to you but 85 is about hottest it gets, and thats during heat wave in August. Ergo, cheers to the first frozen, no bake dessert recipe of the year: no churn pistachio ice cream!
Not gunna lie, I'm SO excited about this recipe. I adore pistachio ice cream; that hint of salt along with the sweet, and the crunchy nutty bits in every spoonful 🤩...Turns out, it's super simple to make! The only trick is making the pistachio paste aka the creamy nut butter goodness. Basically, be patient.
...I know. Not my strong suit either but trust me it's worth it. Getting the pistachios to the right consistency takes some time, with plenty of breaks so that you don't overheat your blender/food processor. The good news is that all you need are some shelled, roasted and lightly salted pistachios and some water. Blend together until smooth and voila! Pistachio nut butter.
Once you've got your nut butter, whisk together all the other ingredients until stiff peaks form. Then whisk in the nut butter and gently fold in some more pistachios as desired for that extra bit of crunch. Finally, freeze for 4 hours for soft serve style or 6 hours for fully frozen deliciousness.
See? That's all there is to it! Grab your ice cream scoop and scroll down for the recipe 🍦💚.Print
Make deliciously creamy, easy and simple pistachio ice cream that's ready to eat in just a few hours. No churning necessary!
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste (can substitute with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ cups shelled, roasted pistachios, lightly salted + extra, roughly chopped, for sprinkling
- ¼ to ½ cup water
- Green food coloring as desired (I only used about 4 drops)
- Roughly chop ½ cup of the pistachios. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse remaining 1 cup of pistachios until they resemble crumbled sand. Add water, a tablespoon at a time, and pulse until completely mixed. Continue this process, adding 1 tablespoon of water at a time, scraping the sides as necessary, until the pistachios resemble a paste (similar to natural peanut butter).* I used 6 tablespoons of water, but it really depends! Sometimes I've only need 4 tablespoons, other times almost 8 tablespoons!
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, almond extract, and vanilla paste on a medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add ½ cup of the the pistachio paste to the mixing bowl and whisk together slowly until combined.
- Gently fold in the chopped up pistachios.*
- Pour the mixture into a bread pan or other freezer safe container. Sprinkle with any extra chopped pistachios and freeze at least 4 hours for soft-serve style or for 6 hours, up to overnight.
This can take some time! It took me almost 20 minutes to get the pistachios to the consistency I wanted. Make sure to give your food processor or blender a break to avoid over heating.
1 cup of shelled pistachios makes about ½ cup of pistachio paste. If you ended up with a little more, no worries! Just make sure to only use ½ cup when adding to the ice cream mixture.