First meal of the day boring you lately? I got you covered: switch it up and try this savory overnight cheesy ham breakfast casserole!
So here's the thing. I made some spicy chicken sandwiches recently (I shall the recipe soon I promise!) and had a TON of brioche bread left over but I really was not in the mood for French toast. What a conundrum!
Solution: savory overnight cheesy ham breakfast casserole.
Remember my overnight French toast casserole? Yup! Same basic recipe but without all the sweet and with ALL the cheese.
Three cheeses to be exact. Plus some diced up ham, green onion, and a pinch of Italian seasoning for extra yums.
Oh and finally, this easy peezy overnight bake is a GREAT way to use up Easter ham leftovers!
Savory overnight cheesy ham breakfast casserole recipe below 😊.Print
Prep this crowd-pleasing breakfast savory casserole the night before and simply throw into the oven in the morning! No stress, no hassle, and absolutely perfect for Easter ham leftovers.
- 1 loaf Brioche or Challah bread (mine was about 18 ounces), cut/ripped into 1 to 2 inch cubes
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces sliced ham, diced
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional garnish: chives, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9X13 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, butter, Italian seasoning, pepper, and salt, until completely combined.
- Add half of the bread to the prepared dish. Sprinkle with half of the diced ham, half of the green onions, and half of the cheeses. Top with remaining bread and sprinkle with remaining ham, green onion, and cheeses. Pour egg mixture evenly over the casserole. Cover with Saran Wrap and place in the fridge overnight (about 12 hours).
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350˚F. Remove casserole from the fridge and discard Saran Wrap. Place the casserole in the oven and cook for 50 to 60 minutes, until top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from heat and let cool on a wire rack for a couple minutes. Garnish with fresh ground black pepper and thinly sliced chives.