I've been doing ALL the holiday baking this month...and it's barely December. For a little change of pace (and a square meal), I've got a quick and easy skillet chicken caprese to share with you today!
First of all, look at all. That. Cheese 😍😍😍. How could you say no to that?!
Second, when I say quick and easy, I mean quick and easy. This delectable, cheesy concoction takes 20 minutes start to finish...in one pan.
ONE PAN! An oven safe skillet to be exact.
Third, the pan sauce. Make sure to drizzle each piece of chicken with some before serving! And by some I mean a ladle because it's SO delicious.
Quick and easy skillet chicken caprese recipe coming right up!Print
Deliciously cheesy, simple, and gluten free caprese chicken all done in one pan in just 20 minutes!
- 2 ½ to 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup basil pesto (or kale pesto for added veggie nutrition!)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or more - I won't judge!)
- Fresh basil, roughly chopped for garnish
- Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel. Season both sides evenly with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- In an oven safe large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken breasts and sear for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until browned. Remove skillet from heat.
- Spread pesto evenly on the top of each seared chicken breast. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Add tomatoes, remaining olive oil, and remaining balsamic vinegar around chicken in the pan.
- Place pan in the oven and cook for 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through (internal temperature reaches 165°F). Optional: broil for 1-2 minutes until cheese is golden.
- Remove skillet to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle chicken with pan sauce. Top with extra cheese and more balsamic vinegar as desired. Sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve immediately.