It's officially December! The tree is up, lights are being hung, carols are playing, and a loaf of holiday ginger banana bread is baking in the oven.
Ready to kick off your holiday baking season?? I like to start off with something super easy, aka this ginger banana bread. A great way to use up leftover bananas hanging out on your counter while being December festive at the same time!
So what's the trick to get the ultimate ginger flavor without overpowering such a simple bread?
One: two teaspoons ground ginger. That's it, NO more!
Two: molasses, but not blackstrap!
Three: buttermilk. Gives the bread an extra little tang but also mellows out the rest of the flavors a little bit.
Four: totally optional but I like to throw in some chopped up candied or crystallized ginger for extra yums.
Finally, dust with a little powdered sugar for that extra special holiday touch.
Ready to get baking?? Ginger banana bread recipe coming up in 3...2...Print
Spice up your holiday season fresh baked banana bread with a festive ginger twist!
- 2 bananas, very ripe (around 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup molasses (do not use black strap molasses)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional: 1/4 cup crystallized or candied ginger, roughly chopped
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until completely combined.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract, molasses, and buttermilk, and whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mash up the bananas. Add to the egg mixture and stir until combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt and crystallized or candied ginger if using.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just combined.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes (depending on your oven), rotating halfway through baking. If the top gets dark brown before the middle is cooked, cover gently with a piece of foil and continue baking.
- When a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean, remove the bread from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar, slice, and serve!