I recognize that it's summer so soup might not be the first thing on your mind for dinner tonight, but just hear me out: summer squash vegetable soup!
It's delicious, nutritious, and it only takes 30 minutes start to finish. Oh AND it's vegan and gluten free. TBH that was a happy accident but I'm super pleased about it. A flavorful, easy meal with no animal products slash no gluten?
A solid win 👊🏻!
Let's talk about those veggies real quick: ALL the yellow squash and zucchini (tis the season!), and a classic mirepoix of carrots, onion, and celery.
Even though it's pretty much all vegetables, a delicious blend of spices, fresh herbs, garlic, and zesty lemon juice along with a tasty veggie broth lends tons of flavor to this summer squash vegetable soup.
Get the recipe below!Print
A quick and easy vegan summer time soup recipe with yellow squash, zucchini, carrots, and fresh herbs. Dairy and gluten free!
- 3 medium summer yellow squash, quartered and diced
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, quartered and diced
- 1 celery rib, halved and diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ¼ cup vegan friendly dry white wine OR 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme,roughly chopped
- Coarse salt, ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery, cooking until somewhat softened and onion is starting to become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, stirring frequently, and cook for 1 more minute, until fragrant.
- Add squash, zucchini, cumin, and coriander. Cook until somewhat softened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the white wine and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Pour in broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove cover. Stir in fresh herbs and lemon juice. Cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Use an immersion blender or transfer to a stand blender and blend until completely smooth.* Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a little cream swirl (non-vegan topping)* if desired, a couple drops of olive oil, a little ground paprika, and fresh lemon thyme and parsley. Serve warm or chilled!
* If using a standing blender, definitely let the soup cool somewhat. Boiling hot soup + a lid on standing blender will cause the lid to fly off when you start blending.
To get that little swirl garnish, whisk equal parts heavy whipping cream and skim milk it in a small bowl (whisking makes it lighter so that it will stay on top of your soup!).