This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Just in case you've been trying to stay healthy during quarantine, how about I tempt you with the best ever chocolate sheet cake 🤣?
My Dad's birthday is in June and in preparation I've been trying out a couple dessert recipes and I think I've settled on this one! When I was talking to my parents about plans for it, the first thing they asked was "Do we get to have cake?"
Absolutely we get to have cake. Dad has a serious sweet tooth and it's time to CELEBRATE it! Ready for a slice of this chocolate cake or what?
Rich, moist, chocolate sheet cake topped with chocolate buttercream frosting. I mean 😍😍😍. I even topped it with some milk chocolate and dark chocolate shavings plus sprinkles for extra yums. Scroll down for the recipe!Print
Best Ever Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12-16 Slices 1x
Simple, moist, deliciously rich chocolate cake recipe topped with light and fluffy chocolate butter cream.
For the Sheet Cake
- 1 ½ cup unbleached, all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk, shaken
- ¾ cup freshly brewed coffee
- Sprinkles, chocolate shavings for garnish
For the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract (I like to use half vanilla extract and half vanilla paste)
Make the Cake Filling
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a 9X13 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Grease with butter or spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together sugars, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract with a standing mixer or hand mixer until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in coffee and whisk on a low speed.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt, mixing until fully incorporated.
- Add half of flour mixture and half of buttermilk to the egg mixture, whisk until combined. Repeat with the remaining flour and buttermilk.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake. Set on a wire rack to cool completely (or the frosting will melt).
Make the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- In a standing mixer, whisk butter until light and creamy. Sift in powdered sugar and cocoa powder, whisk until just combined. Pour in cream and vanilla extract, whisk until completely smooth.
Assemble the Cake
- When the cake is completely cooled, frost cake with chocolate buttercream frosting.
- Garnish with sprinkles and chocolate shavings as desired. Slice and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
I wanted to make a really good cake for my 19th wedding anniversary so I decided to make this cake. I did everything I was supposed to and the cake was dry. I was so disappointed, however the good part is that the icing was fabulous. I noticed while preparing the recipe and getting all ingredients set up that the recipe did not tell you what the flour mixture was as in do we sift all the dry ingredients?. I realized that after I had started to get everything set up. I have been baking for 35 years so I went ahead and mixed all dry ingredients left after creaming together what was the recipe called for. I wish this cake would have turn out better.
Maybe that will make a difference if the recipe was complete I don’t know. But I will keep on making your recipes and always look forward to your emails about new recipes.