I. Love. My. Instant pot. Hands down one of the best kitchen appliances I've ever bought (other than my kitchen aid mixer because obviously). I made this entire dish in the instant pot. AH-mazing right?
Disclaimer: I do own an immersion blender, which helps with the whole one pot thing. If you don't have an immersion blender, a standing blender will work just fine! Gotta blend that sauce down to smooth tinga perfection.
Speaking of which, let's get down to business (...*To defeat, the Huns* - I couldn't resist sorry not sorry). This instant pot chicken tinga is one my favorite go to's for taco filling. Spicy, succulent chicken pressure cooked to fall apart at the mere suggestion of a fork with chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, tomatoes, and tons of Mexican spices.
I chose to serve mine up this time like a classic street corn tortilla taco plus a little avocado but you can honestly do whatever you want! Top some nachos, put it in a burrito, fill up some enchiladas...the possibilities are endless! Get the recipe below 👍🏻.Print
Classic Mexican taco, enchilada, and burrito red chicken filling all done in the instant pot in just 35 minutes!
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ white onion, roughly diced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce roughly chopped + 1 tablespoon of the sauce
- 15 ounces canned fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
- Turn instant pot on sauté and manually adjust to the high setting. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Sear chicken, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Pour ¼ cup of the chicken broth and vinegar into the instant pot, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Adjust the setting to medium.
- Add remaining olive oil to the instant pot. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except for the chicken. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn instant pot off. Use an immersion blender or transfer to a stand blender and blend until smooth.
- Add chicken back to the instant pot. Secure lid and turn vent to sealing. Using the manual setting, turn the instant pot on high pressure for 9 minutes. Let the chicken sit for 5 minutes on warming before quick releasing the valve.*
- Shred chicken using two forks. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in taco form, on top of nachos, in a burrito, up to you!