Ahem. I have made *pause for effect*...cinnamon chocolate babka aka DELICIOUS braided bread. It's SO much easier than you think, so don't get intimidated! Just a little on the tedious side, but so worth it, I can't even begin to tell you.
There are a bazillion versions of babka circling the internet, so I chose to focus on the traditional Jewish style babka layered with a cinnamon chocolate filling and a crumble topping.
It's just 😍😍😍.
Honestly, this cinnamon chocolate babka is a show stopper - I know it looks complicated, but trust me. If I can do it, so can you! Babka is actually a very simple braid, it just takes a minute to figure out. Once you got it, it's easy peez! I've also included about 8,572 pictures of the process below to show you each braiding step ⬇.
Step by step braiding basics:
- After rolling out your dough into a 9X13 rectangle, spread it with filling, leaving a ½ inch border.
- Gently and tightly roll up the rectangle into a roll and place it seam down.
- Slice the roll in half lengthwise.
- Criss-cross one of the halves on top of the other one, cut side down to form a somewhat bottom-heavy X.
- Twist like a rope until completely braided.
- "Smush" ends together (yes that's a technical term).
See? Twist like a rope! Secretly simple.
One of my favorite things about this cinnamon chocolate babka is how it works as both a dessert and the best ever brunch accompaniment. With it's crumble topping, it's almost like a deliciously glorified coffee cake!
Honestly though, I eat this bread all day long. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, you name it.
Have I convinced you to make this delectable treat yet? If so, check out the cinnamon chocolate babka recipe below!