Have you ever made spiced holiday mulled wine in autumn on a rainy, windy day? If not, put on your list because it’s absolute heaven.
Why you ask? Um because it makes your entire house smell amazing and it’s like drinking autumn (or Christmas) in a cup. A boozy wine filled cup which is just the best thing ever 🙌🏻.
My favorite thing about mulled wine (apart from the autumn slash Christmas in a cup thing): it’s literally just a classic red wine, apple cider, a little orange liquor, and whole spices. Plus an orange. That’s it!
Slice up the orange, toss everything into a pot on the stove and simmer for 15 minutes. Aaaaand done. A tasty, wine based treat done in just 20 minutes! Ultimate holiday win.
Scroll down to make your own mug of steaming spiced holiday mulled wine!Print
Simple and quick spiced mulled wine done on the stove in just 20 minutes! The perfect warm beverage for a cold, stormy day.
- 1 (750-ml) bottle red wine (I used cabernet sauvignon)
- 2 cups apple cider
- 3 tablespoons grand mariner
- 1 large orange, sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 6 whole cloves
- Honey to sweeten as desired
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot over medium heat. Once it starts to steam, immediately reduce to a simmer (do NOT boil the wine!) and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove oranges, cloves, anise, and cinnamon sticks and toss away. Add honey if desired for a sweeter mulled wine.
- Ladle into heat proof glasses or mugs. Garnish with extra fresh orange slices, cinnamon sticks, and star anise as desired. Enjoy!