Happy Thursday! So my weeknight dinner rotation needs a little sprucing up. Now that we’ve moved away from the abundance of ridiculously delicious take out in Seattle city proper (for the best really) I’ve had to up my game. One of my current faves? Skillet lemon garlic butter chicken.
Skillet lemon garlic butter chicken secret number one: all the lemon. Not much of a secret but it’s true, all the lemon. Secret within a secret? Use lemon zest along with your standard lemon juice. SO much more flavor and not as much sour slash as much extra liquid.
Secret number two: butter and olive oil. Butter for that creamy pan sauce and olive oil for sautéing and drizzling 😍.
Secret number three: white wine to deglaze the pan. You want to grab all that deliciousness stuck on the bottom of the skillet from sautéing the chicken. It adds fantastic flavor to the pan sauce!
Oh and did I mention skillet lemon garlic butter chicken? It’s all done in one pan! My favorite kind of week night meal. Easy to cook, easy to clean. Recipe below!Print
A quick, easy, gluten-free week night chicken dinner entree with a deliciously creamy pan sauce, all done in one pot!
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine (I used chardonnay)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, roughly minced
- Parsley, roughly chopped, to garnish
- Lemon slices, to garnish
- Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium high heat. Add chicken breasts and cook 3-4 minutes per side, until browned and cooked through (internal temperature reaches 165°F). Remove chicken to a plate to rest.
- Melt another tablespoon of butter and add garlic to the skillet. Cook 30 seconds - 1 minute, until garlic is fragrant.
- Pour wine into the skillet. Scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, milk, cream, thyme, rosemary, and the last tablespoon of butter. Bring to a simmer, lower heat, and reduce liquid until somewhat thickened, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken back to the skillet and drizzle generously with pan sauce. Garnish with fresh parsley, any remaining herbs, and lemon slices. Serve immediately.