What do you in the middle of summer when all your fruit, especially bananas, becomes over ripe in .5 seconds? Chocolate chunk berry banana bread!
First off, gotta have the chocolate chunks.
Well honestly you don’t have to but I love them so 😎. If you’re looking for a slightly healthier option, feel free to nix them!
Second, and probably more importantly, this chocolate chunk berry banana bread is one of my hands down favorite ways to use up summer fruit. Bananas seem to go from green to ripe to over ripe in a matter of hours this time of year. Same goes for blackberries and raspberries. Squishy messes in one day (gross).
Thirdly, this recipe is a great on the go breakfast option! Cook it up and slice it on Sunday and you’ve got delicious chocolate chunk berry banana bread every morning for the rest of the work week!
FOURTHLY, it freezes really well! Can’t eat it all? Throw it in the freezer for up to two weeks. A quick stint in the microwave (literally less than 30 seconds) or in an oven on warming is all it needs.
Get the chocolate chunk berry banana bread recipe below!Print
- 3–4 bananas, very ripe (around 2 cups)
- 6 ounces fresh raspberries
- 6 ounces fresh blackberries
- 1/2 to 1 cup dark chocolate chunks (optional)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until completely combined.
- Add the eggs, and vanilla extract and whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mash up the bananas. Add to the egg mixture and stir until combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, berries, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt.
- Add the flour berry mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks (if using), until just combined.
- Bake for 75-80 minutes (depending on your oven*), rotating halfway through baking. If the top gets dark brown before the middle is cooked, cover gently with a piece of foil and continue baki (around 30 minutes into baking).
When a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean, remove the bread from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
The cook time REALLY depends on your oven. This is a very dense, big loaf of bread. For under an hour, use two smaller size pans.