HI I have news! Dan and I have booked (most of) our trip to the UK in the fall! We’ll be touring around Scotland first and then Ireland on our way back. So not coincidentally at all, I’m on a bit of an Irish kick. Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day too! Today I’m super excited to share my slow cooker corned beef and cabbage stew recipe!
Ok so about our trip real quick. Scotland is all set because we’re going through a self tour company called Nordic Visitor. They set everything up for you once you get there which is just SO helpful, but they don’t cost an arm and a leg (winning).
Basically, we need help once we get to Dublin. We’ll be in Ireland for about 5 days sooooo where should go? What should we do? Slash where should we stay?! Please let us know if you have any suggestions 👍🏻.
In the meantime, I’ll just keep making Irish inspired food 🤣. Since the last one was a seriously decadent baileys irish cream brownie, I figured I’d go for a dinner recipe this time. Ergo, slow cooker corned beef and cabbage stew.
One of my most loved recipes happens to be slow cooker guinness beef stew. This is a little bit of a switcheroo but the same basic formula. It even has Guinness! Not the traditional stout but rather a Guinness blond lager. I didn't even know those existed until recently! And guess what? It's perfect with corned beef and cabbage.
By the by, this slow cooker corned beef and cabbage is the easiest thing ever to make. No cooking prior to dumping everything in the slow cooker. Seriously, just throw in all the ingredients, hit cook and come back in a few hours. SO easy!
New St. Patrick's day fave?? I think so 😎. Grab a Guinness and check out the recipe below.Print
Hearty, easy Irish inspired stew chock full of veggies! Secret ingredient: Guinness blonde lager. Throw all the ingredients in the slow cooker, press cook, and that's it!
- 2-3 lbs corned beef, uncooked with spice packet
- 1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, largely diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 12 ounce bottle Guinness Blonde Lager
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Remove fat cap from corned beef and slice into large chunks (I slice mine into about 4 large pieces).
- Turn on slow cooker. Add all ingredients, including the corned beef spice packet and stir to combine. The slow cooker will be pretty full but it will all cook down!
- Cook on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or on low 7-8 hours.
- Remove thyme and bay leaves. Shred corned beef and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a piece of your favorite crusty bread and a pint of Guinness blond lager!