Happy Monday! Or as happy as a Monday can be right? Let’s start the week of right with a little treat: Buttermilk biscuit strawberry shortcake with limoncello whipped cream!
This is one of my favorite summer desserts. Traditionally this recipe uses angle food cake as the base but I prefer something with a little more substance. Buttermilk biscuit strawberry shortcake! While still light and airy, the biscuits add quite a bit more texture and flavor to this dish.
In case these biscuits look familiar, you’ve definitely seen them before! They’re my go to fave biscuits, previously featured in my skillet berry cobbler.
In that recipe, I rolled the biscuits out but for this one, I went the easy route and just did some drop biscuits. Plop them on the tray right out of the bowl! Super quick and perfect for shortcake.
Now this buttermilk biscuit strawberry shortcake isn’t complete without some limoncello whipped cream. A big, fluffy pillow of whipped cream to lay the strawberries is an absolute must! I like to add a little limoncello for a summery flavor, or even a splash of Grand Marnier for a orangy twist.
Ok so. Bake up some delicious, buttery biscuits. Slice in half and top the bottom with a couple dollops of limoncello whipped cream. Layer with sugared strawberries and a little fresh mint. Cover with the top biscuit and voila! Buttermilk biscuit strawberry shortcake, the perfect summer dessert. Recipe coming right up!
For the Biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes and chilled
- ¾ cup buttermilk
For the Strawberries
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- Juice of 1 orange (about 3-4 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon clover honey plus extra for drizzling
- Fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped, to garnish
For the Limoncello Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Limoncello Liqueur
Marinate the Strawberries
- In a medium bowl, stir together strawberries, sugar, orange juice and honey. Cover with a towel and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
Make the Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450˚F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, sugar, orange zest, and sea salt until mixed.
- Add the cubed butter, and using either a pastry blender, two forks or a food processor, cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour in the buttermilk and stir until just combined.
- Take about ¼ cup of dough at a time into your hand and roll into a rough ball. Place the balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet and gently flatten with your hand. You should have 6 biscuits on the baking sheet when you're finished.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
Make the Limoncello Whipped Cream
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk all ingredients together until it forms soft peaks.
- Once the biscuits have cooled, cut them in half horizontally. Dollop a few large spoonfuls of the Limoncello whipped cream on the bottom slice of each biscuit.
- Top with a layer of marinated strawberries, a sprinkle of fresh mint and a drizzle of honey.
- Gently place the remaining biscuits on top. Enjoy!