We’ve reached that time of year where it’s salads and more salads all day long. It. Is. Hot. Record breaking heat days here in Seattle and I’m SO over it. 93 degrees? EXCUSE me?? 75 here is a hot day so this is just ridiculous. No stove, no oven, no more than 5 minute recipes because I can’t even deal. Enter the Greek salad with homemade vinaigrette.
It’s delicious, refreshing, super light, and takes 5 minutes. Summer W-I-N because even 10 minutes is too much to handle at the moment. I
know you might be thinking…93?? That’s NOTHING! The climate is so mild here that I’m reeeeally not used to the heat anymore. And most houses slash businesses that aren’t downtown don’t have air conditioning because why would they need it most of the year?
Well here’s my opinion. GET IT TOGETHER SEATTLE! Either COOL down or air conditioners all around. Awesome k thanks.
You know what’s even more ridiculous? We have a standing air conditioner in our house because a few years ago, August was unbearable without one. It’s only good for one room though and it’s best if it hangs out in the living room soooo I still get to complain right?
Ugh probably not. Time to count my blessings and move on…to Greek salad!
For reals just whisk together the vinaigrette in a small bowl and then toss all the ingredients, including the vinaigrette, in a large bowl.
AAAAAAND done! No need to go hang out in a “the windows are open so it’s cool in here” restaurant to cure your Greek salad craving. Actually, is that a thing? Because I definitely get Greek salad cravings. All of a sudden, I just have to have it. Now I can have it right at home!
Thank goodness for that right? I’m not leaving my air conditioned oasis anytime soon so it looks like it’s going to be a Greek salad kind of a night 😁.
Skip the restaurant with this 5 minute, vegetarian Greek salad , complete with homemade vinaigrette!
For the Salad
- 1 head romaine lettuce, sliced
- 1 english cucumber, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the vinaigrette.
- In a large bowl, toss together all ingredients for the salad and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Serve immediately.