Spring vegetable mushroom pasta Alfredo. ALL the greens. And some mushrooms. Because spring.
It’s more like pasta Alfredo on top of salad and I’m obsessed. A delicious, healthy way to get your greens but still all the carbs. AKA dream health life. I felt so much better eating my plate o’ pasta with a bunch of spring baby greens in every bite!
Plus, there’s a reason the name for this dish is spring vegetable mushroom pasta alfredo. TONS of veggies! Available during this season of course. We’ve got asparagus, peas, mushrooms. spring mixed greens and even some baby arugula.
The best way to think of it is as if you’ve flipped the ratio. Instead of pasta with a handful of greens sautéed in, it’s a good amount of pasta with a lots of greens and other fun things.
Also, we can pretend all those veggies balance out the alfredo sauce ????. TBH though, it’s skinny alfredo sauce! Just a teensy bit of cream. Literally two tablespoons in the whole sauce are all you need! Otherwise it’s all non-fat or skim milk and broth for flavor. AWE-some right?? All the goodness and none of the guilt.
In. Love ????. Get some while you can!!!Print
- 12 ounces pasta (a little less than a pound), I used Campanelle
- 1 lb asparagus spears
- 8 ounces green beans
- 1 cup peas, thawed
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup non-fat or skim milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup parmesan
- Baby spring green lettuce mix
- Baby arugula
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook 2-3 minutes, until cooked "al dente" (they should be bright green and still have a crisp bite when bitten). Drain green beans and immediately place into a large bowl of ice water or rinse thoroughly with cold water to stop the cooking. Drain again and pat dry. Optional: Slice asparagus into 1-inch long pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook for 7- minutes, until softened. Add asparagus spears, green beans, peas, and a pinch of salt. Stir until warmed and remove from heat. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- While mushrooms are cooking, cook pasta to al dente according to box instructions. Drain and add to the bowl of veggies.
- Wipe the pan used for the mushrooms dry and melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk together until combined. Cook 1 minute, whisking frequently.
- While whisking, slowly pour in broth, milk, and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and whisk in parmesan cheese. Add salt to taste.
- Pour sauce into the bowl of pasta and veggies, toss to coat. Plate on top of desired amount of greens. Garnish with any extra parmesan cheese.