Anyone else have that issue where you’re running out the door every morning without a single bite to eat and then you’re STARVING at work but you only brought food for lunch? Even worse, you just can’t even so you pick a calorie laden breakfast sammie? Solution: Make ahead healthy breakfast egg cups!
Honestly they taste like mini quickness without the crust and it’s amazing. Carb free and you still get some serious cheesy goodness! Plus, the filling of each cup is completely up to you and depends on your personal taste! I’ve got a couple fave versions that I included in the recipe to give you some options.
Another awesome thing about these breakfast egg cups? You can totally make them ahead of time. I usually make mine on Sundays before I start my week! Let them cool completely once baked, throw them in some freezable containers or bags and voila! Breakfast for the week ????????.
If you're anything like me, you can't bear the fact of chilled or lukewarm breakfast egg cups amiright? I got you covered. If you threw these in the fridge after cooking knowing you were going to eat them sooner rather than later, a quick 25-30 seconds in the microwave outta do it. If you aren't sure when you're going to need a couple and they're hanging out in the frezer, 50-60 seconds in the microwave will thaw them right out. If the microwave makes you nervous, heat them up in 15 second increments to ensure avoiding any rubbery eggs!
Ok! Ready to take on the week? Ready. Got your breakfast egg cups? Set. Warmed up and yummy? GO!Print
For Egg Mixture
- 7 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- Fresh, sliced chives for garnish
For Ham Cups
- Diced kale or spinach
- Diced ham
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Ground paprika, ground pepper to sprinkle on top
For Veggie Cups
- Diced bell peppers
- Corn, drained or thawed
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chili powder, ground pepper to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a standard 12 cup muffin tray.
- Fill cups with desired fillings about 1/2 way full, including the cheese.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Pour the mixture over the cups to about 3/4 of the way full. Top with any more desired cheese and sprinkle with a pinch of desired spices.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until an insert tooth pick comes out clean. Garnish with chives and serve immediately.
- To make ahead, let cool completely after cooking. Once cooled, place desired amount of egg cups in Ziploc bags or sealable containers. Refrigerate or freeze as desired.
To reheat refrigerated egg cups, microwave them for about 25-30 seconds. To reheat frozen egg cups, reheat about 50-60 seconds. Times can vary greatly depending on the microwave so if you're unsure, warm them up in increments of 15 seconds to avoid rubbery eggs!