It’s been WAY too long since I shared a dessert. How about an easy peezy one? Healthyish Dark chocolate oatmeal bars!
So I’ve kicked up my body boss workouts, made it though the pre-training and into the real thing. Omg you guys. Basically I’m scarfing down dinner and then literally ready for bed at like 7. Still got that sweet tooth though! But I put in all that effort only to eat ALL the sugar calories right afterwards? I think not. Therefore, “healthyish” dark chocolate oatmeal bars.
The reason they’re healthyish instead of straight up dessert?
First and foremost, the addition of oatmeal always helps.
Second, I swapped butter for coconut oil! Way healthier and adds an awesome flavor.
Third, I did try with the sugar. But, these puppies have sugar. I had to do it! Nothing cooks up better in a cookie or a brownie than sugar. Plus, I still wanted that comforting, go to sweet taste. However there’s a little more wiggle room with bars as opposed to cookies, so I was able to use brown sugar instead of white!
Fourth, I used both white AND wheat flour. Better for you and you can’t even tell I swear.
Oh and also, these are one bowl dark chocolate oatmeal bars. Yup! Dump all the ingredients in one bowl, mix and BOOM done. No need to mix dry and wet in separate bowls, etc. Also, no chilling, no sizing, nothing! Straight from the bowl to the baking dish and cook for 25 minutes. D-O-N-E.
As always, if you’re unsure if your bars are done, err on the side of undercooking. That way you get that soft, chewy center.
Ok so to recap: oatmeal, coconut oil, brown sugar, wheat flour, one bowl, 25 minutes, done. Dark chocolate oatmeal bars for the WIN!Print
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 1 cup unbleached, all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 cup coconut oil, room temperature (softened but not melted)
- 2 cups dark chocolate chunks/chips (I chopped up a couple dark chocolate bars we had lying around!)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9X13 inch baking dish and prepare with parchment paper.
- In large mixing bowl, cream together coconut oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Whisk in the rest of the ingredients except for the chocolate chunks until combined. Gently fold in chocolate chunks.
- Spread the dough out in the prepared baking dish. Top with a few extra chocolate chunks.
- Bake 22-24 minutes until the center is just set. If you’re not sure, always err on the side of underdone!
- Cool 1 hour to let bars set or eat immediately with a fork!