Spring + awesome looking produce + new health goals = Spring chicken asparagus pea salad. With a homemade raspberry balsamic vinaigrette of course! Oh and obviously slices of herbed goat cheese. Duh.
About those new health goals. It’s official! Hubby and I are finally going to get in shape ????????♀️????! He’s all signed up for a half marathon and I’ve started Body Boss pre-training (anyone else see that all over their Facebook newsfeed?). I’m definitely not running a half marathon (running is so not my thing) but I’ll be there at the finish line ???????????????? all fit and fabulous! At least, that’s the goal ????????.
So this new “I WILL GET FIT DAMMIT” attitude has also revamped our eating habits. Well, during the week. Weekends are a free for all because life. But! I’ll be focusing on making easy, healthier meals to supplement our “training”. Ergo, the spring chicken asparagus pea salad.
Quick note: You should definitely still expect all the cheesy goodness and bites of dessert because let’s be real. It’s me. For example, a strawberry rhubarb pie will most definitely be making an appearance here on the blog next week.
TBH though, I love a big, gnarly salad with a tasty vinaigrette. So I’m pretty sure, new health goals or not, this spring chicken pea asparagus salad would have ended up here no matter what.
It’s got all the spring produce: Asparagus spears, petite green peas, heirloom cherry tomatoes, and juicy blackberries drizzled with raspberry vinaigrette.
Also? Protein! The same delicious chicken as the one in my healthy chicken quinoa beet bowls. Sensing a theme here? It’s my favorite go to chicken breast recipe: quick, simple and flavorful. Plus, super healthy!
To make this springtime chicken asparagus pea salad truly delish though? Slices of goat cheese. Gotta have that cheesy goodness! Also, make to sure add a few toasted sliced almonds for the perfect amount of crunch.
Ready to enjoy the fruits of the season? Recipe coming up below!Print
For the Salad
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 ounces blackberries
- ½ cups sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 avocado, cored and sliced
- 4 ounces herbed goat cheese, sliced
- 4 cups mixed spring greens
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, sliced
For the Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons raspberry balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Dash of salt and fresh black pepper
For the Chicken Rub
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon parprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Add asparagus and boil until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and place in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking for 1 minute. Pat dry, slice into inch long pieces and set aside.
- Mix together chicken rub spices in a small bowl. Pat chicken breasts dry and sprinkle both sides liberally with rub mix.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until the temperature reaches 165°F, about 6 minutes per side. Remove from pan and let rest for five minutes before slicing.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ingredients for vinaigrette until completely combined.
- Assemble the salad: Toss the greens, asparagus, peas and tomatoes together with most of the dressing, reserving a few tablespoons for drizzling.
- Top the salad with the sliced chicken, goat cheese, toasted almonds, avocado, and blackberries. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette.