I. Love. Toast. It's a major staple in my life. Snack time? Toast. Stomach not feeling great but I'm hungry? Toast. It's the middle of the night and I can't even whyamiawake? Toast.
In case you don't believe me, head on over to my toast archives. See? Told you! But there is one particular recipe that is glaringly absent...My favorite caprese avocado breakfast toast.
This particular breakfast toast has legit ALL my favorite things in it: tons of cheesygoodness, balsamic vinegar reduced down to a delectable syrup, and thin slices of avocado. And you gotta have the tomato! A necessary ingredient for "caprese" anything. I like to mix it up a little bit by using your standard large red tomato along with some sliced up heirloom cherry tomatoes for variety.
By the by, caprese avocado breakfast toast might not seem like the most wintery recipe. Well, the sun has FINALLY decided to grace us with it's presence over here in our rainy corner of the world ????????. Mostly, I'm just happy Seattle decided to pick a season.
We appear to be moving full steam ahead into Spring. Trees are are starting to get blooms on them, no more ice on the ground, and when the sun is out it actually feels warm outside. So maybe the use of heirloom tomatoes at the beginning of March isn't that weird ????.
I gotta run outside and grab some Vitamin D while I can, so try my newest breakfast toast recipe (omgyou'llloveit) and enjoy the beginning of Spring!Print
- 4 slices Pugliese bread, ¾ - 1 inch thick
- 8 ounce mozzarella ball, sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 avocado, halved, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 large red tomato, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, diced
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- Coarse salt, fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Top each slice of bread with ¼ cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese and place on a baking tray.
- Toast the bread in the oven for 5-6 minutes until golden and cheese is bubbling. Remove from the oven and add the mozzarella ball slices to each piece. Turn the oven on broil, and broil for 1-2 minutes, until mozzarella has melted and bread edges are toasted.
- While the bread is toasting, make the balsamic vinegar reduction: Pour vinegar into a small sauce pan and simmer over low-medium heat for about 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced to a syrup and clings to the back of a spoon.
- Top each piece of cheesy toast with slices of avocado, red tomato, cherry tomatoes, a drizzle of the balsamic reduction, and a sprinkle of basil. Garnish with any salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.