Pizza is rapidly becoming one of my favorite things to cook. It’s a great way to use up rando leftovers in your fridge and it’s so fun to make slash eat. This time I went a little meat lovers crazy and round up with a spicy sausage pepperoni pizza!
Y’all. I can’t kick this flu. Anyone have any tips? Should be no surprise that I’ll be a sharing some immune boosting recipes in the coming weeks because this is just ridiculous. Every time I think I’m getting better it’s like PSYCH! New symptom. Oh and by the way, don’t even try anything that requires energy. Like, you know, living.
Arrrrrgh. Weirdly enough, I like spicy food when I’m sick. Opens up the sinuses a bit. Of course, not when you’ve caught the stomach flu, but a head cold? All about it. And you might as well mix some comfort food in there too soooo spicy sausage pepperoni pizza is perfect right?
I mean, probably not but whatever. At some point you gotta just start ignoring this flu business and attempt to enjoy life. Especially if just keeps hanging on like this! So. Let’s talk about that pizza.
Overall, this spicy sausage pepperoni pizza is the answer to my mid-winter, flu ridden blues. It's got ALL the best toppings; sausage and pepperoni obviously, plus tons of cheese. I'm sure you're aware of my cheese obsession by now but I digress. I even threw some fresh arugula on top just so that I could make myself feel healthy while eating a meat lovers, cheese coated pizza.
Honestly, if you skip the arugula, no judgement here ????. Go crazy and add more sausage and pepperoni while you're at it!
I’m gunna clue you in on a little secret. I totally got store bought pizza dough...I KNOW right? I’m a food blogger and I bought the dough. I do have a homemade pizza dough recipe, but some times, like flu season aka now for example, you just want pizza night to be quick and easy. Totally worth it.
In case you’re curious, my fave store bought pizza dough comes from Trader Joe’s. You still get to roll it out and flour it, and it bakes up beautifully!Print
- 1 homemade or store-bought pizza dough
- 1/4 cup homemade or your favorite store-bought marinara sauce
- 8 ounces hot, ground Italian sausage
- 16-20 of your favorite large pepperoni slices
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Handful fresh baby arugula
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Roll pizza dough into a 12″ circle. Place in refrigerator to chill.
- Cook sausage: Drizzle a little olive oil into a skillet and cook ground sausage over medium-high heat until browned and crumbly, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from skillet using a slotted spoon and place onto a plate with covered in a paper towel. Set aside.
- Remove pizza dough from the fridge. Gently brush with a drizzle of olive oil then spread marinara sauce, leaving the edges of the pizza sauce free.
- Sprinkle with cheeses. Top with red onion slices, pepperoni and cooked sausage.
- Place the pizza on a round pizza pan, or baking sheet and put on the middle rack in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and crust is golden.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh arugula. Serve immediately.