Going to take a trip down memory lane today with one of my favorite dishes growing up. It has all the things any child slash adult honestly could want in a "salad": carbs, salami, cheese, and a smattering of veggies to make sure its nutritional and filling. But mostly, carbs, salami and cheese...Say hello to my favorite Italian Pasta Salad with Italian Red Wine Dressing.
First off, real quick, Happy SATURDAY!!!...Can you tell I'm excited? I'll give you one guess as to why....RAAAAIN ☔️????☔️????!!! It's supposed to happen tomorrow and lower these ridiculous temperatures slash get rid of the hazy wildfire smoke so fingers crossed ????????.
Anyhoo, back to this awesomely easy and delicious Italian pasta salad. Another wonderful dish my mom used to make for us when I was a kid (in case you haven't heard her tuna melts are out of this world ????????). I've expanded on her version since then which has resulted in the MASSIVELY full bowl of goodness you see here. Although Italian pasta salad is usually served as a side dish, this one makes quite enough for an actual dinner.
Confession: I opted out of adding olives to my version after a while. The black olives just aren't cutting it anymore. If your Italian pasta salad just isn't complete without olives, be my guest! Personally, my favorite part about this dish is the salami. Paired with the mozzarella cheese balls because obviously. Those two additions are what makes this version possible as a main dish, they make it so much more filling!
OH also, it's SO easy! Whisk together dressing ingredients, boil pasta, and then toss ALL the ingredients together in a bowl....and done! Three steps to de-licious Italian pasta salad. Recipe in 3.2.1...Print
For the Salad
- 1 lb pasta shaped pasta like casarecce or fusilli
- 8 ounces summer salami or sausage, cut into cubes
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 carrot, peeled, quartered and sliced thinly
- 1 cucumber, quartered and sliced thinly
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 8 ounces mozzarella balls
- ¼ cup fresh parmesan, grated
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly minced
For the Dressing
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- Make the dressing: In small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Set aside.
- Cook pasta to al dente according to box instructions. Run under cold water and drain. Keep in the fridge to chill until ready to use.
- Assemble the salad: Toss together all ingredients for the salad in a large bowl. Drizzle with as much dressing as desired and toss to coat. Serve chilled.