Ok! I’m starting to get the hang of the new year health craze (don’t be surprised though if you keep seeing ALL the soups because…winter). When my sister came over from DC for Christmas, I was rudely making fun of her for the bajillionth time for only liking steak and ramen noodles and after a couple “NOT true” moments, she proceeded to describe several other things she liked, one of which was a Mexican Caesar Salad that she gets frequently for lunch. Ummm say what?? I never did get the ingredients for that particular version but I was so intrigued I decided to create a version of my own. AND, it’s a salad! A healthier recipe for you. So without further ado, Mexican Caesar Salad with homemade dressing and tortilla strips!
Right off the bat, you might be concerned about that dressing. Yes, this salad has a rather delicious, homemade dressing but I did use low fat ingredients. You can also always add it on the side if you’re concerned about calories but pretty much all of the flavor is in that dressing: a classic Caesar dressing with some flavorful Mexican cuisine additions.
My favorite homemade Mexican spice blend definitely makes an appearance, along with some fresh cilantro, and, of course, anchovies! If you really want the Caesar flavor, you have to have the anchovies. I elected for anchovy paste so I didn’t have to deal with the fillets and it worked swimmingly ????.
Another addition to this Mexican Caesar Salad? I switched out the traditional croutons for some homemade tortilla strips! So easy, crispy, and WAY better than store bought. I snacked my way through a quarter of the bowl before I even finished the salad!
You all ready?? Mexican Caesar Salad, complete with homemade dressing and tortilla strips coming your way!Print
For the Salad
- 1 head romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 15 ounces canned black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
For the Dressing
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 7 stems cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Mexican spice blend*
For the Tortilla Strips
- 4 corn tortillas, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Mexican spice blend
- Coarse salt
- Make the dressing: Add all ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the tortilla strips: In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of vegetable or canola oil. Once hot, add tortilla strips in a single layer and fry until golden and crispy. Remove to a paper towel and sprinkle immediately with a pinch of salt and a pinch of mexican spice blend. Repeat until all strips are fried.
- Set aside to cool.
- Assemble salad: Toss together lettuce, beans, corn, cheese, and dressing together in a large bowl. Top with tortilla strips and serve with fresh lime wedges and cilantro.
For the Homemade Mexican Spice Blend, mix together in a small bowl:
2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon Mexican oregano
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon salt