Whew! We made it! It’s the week before Christmas and I’ve finally caught up with the season. Gifts have been wrapped, the decorations are up, egg nog has become a staple of our evenings, and holiday recipes have been tried and perfected. So without further ado, the night before Christmas and all through the house…wafted the smell of easy, festive, Gingerbread Waffles!!!
I must confess I have found myself disappointed with the gingerbread waffle recipes out on the web. Not really that gingerbready ???? aka a bit lackluster in both flavor and in color. Considering I hadn’t shared a waffle recipe since the Candied Pecan Pumpkin Spice Waffles of last year, I figured I should take a shot at this holiday treat!
First of all, the scent of these Gingerbread Waffles baking up is absolutely amazing. They fill your entire house with holiday spirit! Second, I made sure to add plenty of molasses, ground ginger, and even candied ginger bits to make sure these puppies have the flavor needed for some serious Christmas brunch festivities. They are also the perfect mix of light and fluffy interiors with dark, crunchy exteriors jam packed with ginger flavor.
By the by: the secret to that light and fluffy interior? Egg whites friends. Egg whites. I knowwww I know it’s an extra step nobody wants to deal with. I feel you. But just trust me on this one. Egg whites beaten into stiff peaks and then gently folded in to the batter will result in a perfectly airy and soft batter sure to turn into…yup! Light and fluffy Gingerbread Waffles ????????????.
Ok! That concludes Christmas recipe number 1! Keep you’re eyes peeled, I’ve got another one coming your way sure to turn up this week, just in the nick of time for a Christmas Eve cocktail hour ????????. Meanwhile, consider these easy and festive Gingerbread Waffles for your Christmas brunch this year!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/8 teaspoon all spice
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon candied ginger, minced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat a waffle iron. Prepare with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, all spice, ground ginger, candied ginger, and sugars together.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolk, molasses, buttermilk, vanilla extract, and softened butter together, until completely mixed.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold into waffle mixture until just combined.
- Bake in waffle iron according to manufacture’s instructions. (Should take about 4-5 minutes to come out nice and browned.)
- Top with sifted powdered sugar, butter, maple syrup and candied ginger slices. Serve immediately.