For the Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coarse salt for garnish
For the Apple Cider
- 3 1/2 cups apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 cup dark rum or bourbon
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 1 honey crisp apple, diced
- Make the caramel sauce: Wipe a heavy bottomed medium sized sauce pot clean of all impurities (bits of dust, etc.). Add white sugar in an even layer and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently with a heat resistant spoon while it melts.
- When the sugar is completely caramelized, quickly whisk in the butter until completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and pour in the cream, quickly whisking until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg, whisk together until smooth.
- Let cool for a couple minutes, until warm but not hot.
- Garnish Apple Cider Glasses: Pour the salt onto a flat plate in an even layer. Gently dip the rims of glasses for the apple cider into the sauce and then into the salt. Let cool.
- Make the cider: In a large pot, heat apple cider, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and orange juice to a simmer. Cook at a simmer for 5 minutes until steaming. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Remove cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Pour boozy cider into salted caramel garnished glasses. Add a few diced apple pieces to your glass and enjoy!