It’s time for a hearty one pan entree, would’t you agree? The air is brisk, the leaves are changing, and scarfs are quickly becoming a necessary item. Yup, definitely time for a Lemon Roasted Apple Chicken and Veggies.
One of the easiest entrees to make, my favorite thing about this Lemon Roasted Apple Chicken and Veggies that your whole dinner is done in one pan! The veggies are cooked right underneath the chicken itself, and get to soak up all of those delicious, lemony, buttery juices.
Another favorite thing? You have dinner for daaaays. Well if its just Dan and I in any case, they last for days. I’m actually terrible with leftovers, I rarely ever eat them, which is quite sad considering how much food I make. I don’t know why, I just have no appetite for them. Unless it’s Indian food, Mexican food, or pasta. That’ll be gone in less than day. But to be honest, there’s always plenty of this Lemon Roasted Apple Chicken and Veggies to go around! So turn up the heat on your oven and roast one up!Print
- 4-5 lb whole chicken, giblets removed, rinsed, trussed
- 8 thin-medium carrots, peeled
- 1 lb baby red potatoes, halved
- 1 lemon, halved and quartered into wedges
- 1 yellow onion, halved and quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved horizontally
- 1 large red apple, fuji or honey crisp, cored, halved and quartered
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Coarse salt, fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh sage, thyme, rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Grease a 9X13 roasting pan.
- Toss potatoes, carrots, and apples with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place them on the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Rub chicken thoroughly with butter. Liberally season with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with half of the lemon wedges, half of the onion wedges, half of the apple wedges, and a few leaves of each fresh herb.
- Place the chicken on top of the veggies in then pan. Squeeze the lemon juice from the remaining lemon wedges over the chicken.
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour and 20 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165˚F.
- Remove from oven, cover with foil, and rest for 10 minutes. Carve and serve immediately.