- 4–5 lb whole chicken, giblets removed, rinsed, trussed
- 8 thin-medium carrots, peeled
- 1 lb baby red potatoes, halved
- 1 lemon, halved and quartered into wedges
- 1 yellow onion, halved and quartered
- 1 large red apple, fuji or honey crisp, cored, halved and quartered
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Coarse salt, fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh sage, thyme, rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Grease a 9X13 roasting pan.
- Toss potatoes, carrots, and apples with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place them on the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Rub chicken thoroughly with butter. Liberally season with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with half of the lemon wedges, half of the onion wedges, half of the apple wedges, and a few leaves of each fresh herb.
- Place the chicken on top of the veggies in then pan. Squeeze the lemon juice from the remaining lemon wedges over the chicken.
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour and 20 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165˚F.
- Remove from oven, cover with foil, and rest for 10 minutes. Carve and serve immediately.