Hey guys! How goes it? Enjoying the cooler weather? I know I am ???? . Anyway, gunna jump right into it today. As it's my favorite, I'm transitioning into Autumn recipes pretty much as soon as I can, but I figured a couple more summer recipes for the last week of August to round out the season wouldn't hurt! But like I said, moving into fall, so we're hitting up the slow cooker friends. Time for a Spicy Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwich!
So I actually created this recipe with my fiance in mind :-). He'll inhale anything spicy in about 30 seconds (love you babe ????). For reals though, I knew he'd love this one. I added a hint of heat to the chicken with some crushed pepper flakes, his favorite go-to pepperjack cheese with jalapeños and chili bits, and then of course some freshly sliced jalapeño, WITH the seeds! Not gunna lie, I removed the seeds on mine. I love spicy food but that would've been a little too much for me!
My favorite part of Spicy Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwich? You guessed it! The slow cooker. It's the perfect way to make anything "pulled", especially when it's too hot to use the stove. I threw the chicken in the slow cooker at 9 in the morning, and these were raring to go 4 hours later, just in time for lunch with no effort on my part. No searing, no stove top, just throw it all in the slow cooker and fugetaboutit! It's also really great at keeping the chicken nice and moist! I've had some dried out chicken issues in the past, not a fun time. This cooking method is my favorite way to ensure whatever meat you're using stays juicy and flavorful.
Also, this recipe is just so easy. Minimal effort, easy prep, pretty much press a button and you're good to go. For the ultimate Spicy Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwich, use a pretzel bun for extra flavor, toast it up with the cheese to get it gooey and melty, top with chicken, fresh slices of jalapeño, and enjoy! My fiancé certainly did????.Print
- 3 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 pretzel buns, halved
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 1 jalapeño, sliced (seeds removed if desired)
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and place in your slow cooker.
- Pour apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, BBQ sauce, Italian seasoning, chili pepper flakes, and brown sugar in your slow cooker, coating the chicken.
- Turn on high and cook for 4 hours, until the chicken is easily shreddable.
- Shred chicken with two forks.
- Place a slice of the pepper jack cheese on each bottom pretzel bun. Lightly toast/broil the buns until just golden and cheese is melted.
- Add chicken to toasted buns and top with fresh jalapeño slices.