Fire up the BBQ because it’s time to grill up some Pineapple Beef Kabobs. ‘Tis the season am I right? 80 degrees and a bright, sunny Seattle all week. Everyone is so excited…I woke up this morning and it was overcast and gray and thought YES! RAIN! Burned off in 2 hours ????????. I’m just not a summer person. I like weather; wind, rain, even just some clouds to break up this blazing blue sky. You’re all probably thinking what is wrong with this woman?!
Basically, unless there’s a beach or a pool with some fruity pineapple drink I’m not much for heat. That being said, summer definitely has its perks, my favorite being BBQ time!!! The only way to cook when it gets this hot is outside on a grill so the house stays cool. Grilled Pineapple Beef Kabobs here I come!
My favorite part of these kabobs isn’t even the beef…It’s the pineapple. Grilled pineapple is DE-LICIOUS! All that acid-like tartness gets cooked out while simultaneously leaving the sweet fruity flavor behind. Second favorite part is definitely the beef. I love steak so there was no question when Dan the Fiancé asked me which kind of meat to get at the store (see how I snuck that in there? Still on cloud nine ????????).
The marinade itself is a sweet and tangy combo that pairs wonderfully with the pineapple; soy sauce, red wine vinegar, and some whole grain mustard combined with a little brown sugar and sesame oil along with your standard olive oil, salt and pepper. It’s also ridiculously easy. Throw it all in a bag, shake, and refrigerate. Done! Flavorful beef ready to grill. Stick on some chunks of onion, bell pepper, and of course pineapple to complete the skewer! Serve these Grilled Pineapple Beef Kabobs with some sticky rice or even a la carte at a summer BBQ.Print
For the Marinade
- 1 1/2 lbs petite sirloin beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
For the Kabobs
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and quartered into large chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 pineapple, outside removed and cut into large chunks
- Make the marinade: In a large plastic bag, add beef, salt and pepper and toss until the meat is coated. Add the brown sugar, olive oil, sesame oil, red wine vinegar, soy sauce and whole grain mustard. Toss until coated. Chill for at least 30 minutes, preferably 4 hours.
- Heat up a grill. Alternatively, heat a grill pan over medium high heat.
- Soak kabob skewers in water for 30 minutes. Remove beef from the marinade and shake off any excess liquid, reserving the marinade.
- Thread beef, onion, bell pepper and pineapple onto skewers as desired.
- Place the kabobs on the grill and brush with some of the reserved marinade. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the kabobs over after 5 minutes and brush on the rest of the marinade. Cover and cook another 5 minutes for medium rare or continue to cook until desired doneness.