Happy Wednesday friends! We’re halfway through the week already! The big 4th of July is coming up, anybody have any fun plans?? We’re just hitting up the basics up here, some grilling, beach time, and of course fireworks ????☀️????????????. Just in case you have a crazy 4th ahead of you, you may want to take at least one meal easy. How about a simple yet filling Sausage Spinach and Cheese Frittata to start July 4th off right?
I used to shy away from frittatas because of the two step process; start on the stove and end in the oven. Seemed simple enough but adding eggs into the mix seemed tricky to me. I couldn’t be happier to be more wrong! This Sausage Spinach and Cheese Frittata is just another wonderful example of the one pot meal, or in this case, skillet meal that shaves minutes off your cooking time and makes for much easier clean up!
If you’re still nervous, the trick is to be slow and steady with the egg mixture. Do not rush the egg baking! When adding the egg mixture to the cooked sausage and veggies, keep the heat around medium, wait for the sides to set, and then throw it in the oven at no higher than 350˚F. This allows the eggs to cook thoroughly while also keeping the top of your beautiful frittata from burning.
SO friends! If you’re looking for an easy, filling, little mess breakfast to get you going before your 4th of July celebrations this upcoming weekend, definitely give this Sausage Spinach and Cheese Frittata a try!Print
- 8 ounces ground hot Italian sausage
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 12 large eggs
- Thinly sliced chives, to garnish.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until cooked through.
- Add bell pepper and cook for 4 minutes until softened.
- Add spinach and cook down for 2-3 minutes until wilted. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and mix completely. Lower heat to medium.
- Beat eggs together with milk and 3/4 cups of the cheddar cheese.
- Add the egg mixture to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes, until the sides are set.
- Top with the last 1/4 cup cheese and place the pan on a middle rack in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the middle is set. Garnish with chives and serve immediately.