It’s a sweet tooth kind of week my friends. Sometimes, I just need some chocolate…covered in cream cheese…and wrapped up in a light, fluffy, crispy shell. Thus the Chocolate Stuffed Puff Pastry Braid was born. This is seriously one of the easiest desserts you will ever make and it looks like you just picked it up at a danish bakery. Oh and remember how Mother’s Day is this weekend? Win win!!!
Another great thing about this recipe? 5 ingredients!!! And to be honest, you probably have all of them in your house already. If you do any baking, chances are high you have some puff pastry hanging out in your freezer. If not, it’s easily accessible in the freezer section at the store. Chocolate chips? Check. Cream Cheese? Done. Sugar? On it. An egg to make that fluffy shell nice and golden? Yup! Well then let’s get started!
The only part of this Chocolate Stuffed Puff Pastry Braid that might require some actual focus is the braiding. And guess what? WAY easier than you’d think. Slice some lines diagonally and fold over each other. Woot! You’ve got a bakery worthy dessert coming your way (your mom will be super impressed this Sunday if you serve this during your Mother’s Day brunch!).
Remember the garnishes! If you don’t have any fresh fruit to top no worries but I strongly suggest some sifted powdered sugar to add some oomph to the final product. So 5-ingredients? 30 minutes with 25 of that spent in the oven? Basically the easiest, simplest dessert pastry is ready for you in 3..2..1!Print
- 13 oz sheet ready-made puff pastry, thawed
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Fresh strawberries, sliced for garnish
- Powdered sugar, sifted for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Prepare a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper and very lightly flour the surface.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and cream cheese until smooth and light.
- Lay puff pastry flat directly onto prepared baking sheet. Leaving about 1/2 inch bare on the top and bottom (to create flaps), spread cream cheese along the center third of the puff pastry. Top with the chocolate chips.
- Slice diagonally 3/4 of an inch apart down each of the outer thirds to create strips.
- Starting at the top, fold the first strip on the left over the cream cheese chocolate filling. Then fold the first strip on the right side over the top. Repeat, alternating on both sides until the filling is covered and all strips have been crossed.
- Fold the flaps on the top and the bottom of the pastry over strips to fully encase the filling.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg yolk and water to make an egg wash. Lightly brush the pastry with the egg wash until coated.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until puffy pastry is risen and golden. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Top with powdered sugar and sliced strawberries.