It's Taco Tuesday everyone!!! How about instead of the traditional Mexican fare, we switch it up with a little asian fusion? Thai cuisine it is! We're going to fill up these Thai Shrimp Tacos with some lime jasmine rice, chile garlic sautéed shrimp, and top them with a drizzle of homemade cilantro avocado sauce. Oh and of course some lightly toasted peanuts. Ummm yum. Taco Tuesday everyday pleasekthanks.
My favorite part of this recipe (other than the juicy, lime chile garlic shrimp), is the homemade cilantro avocado sauce. It's so easy and quick to make, and tastes wonderfully fresh! Throw all the ingredients into your food processor and press the "on" button. Done. It's like magic. I could probably eat this sauce all on it's own but that's a little frowned upon. Ergo, Thai Shrimp Tacos!
I love giving just a hint of flavor to jasmine rice and a little lime zest seems to be just the trick. It also makes your kitchen smell heavenly while it rests. Then theres the shrimp of course. When cooking shrimp, my go to is some kind of citrus, in this case, a little lime juice (I'm sensing a theme here). Then add a few dollops of chile garlic sauce to give it some kick and we're ready to start filling up those tortillas.
Fire up the stove top and let's get this Taco Tuesday Rolling! Thai Shrimp Tacos Tuesday to be exact. Now the only question is, margaritas or a spiked Thai iced tea?? 😉Print
For the Tacos
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 lb shrimp, patted dry, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces coleslaw cabbage mix
- ¼ cup peanuts, unsalted, roughly chopped, lightly toasted
- 4-6 6-inch flour tortillas (8-10 if doubling up the tortillas for the tacos)
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
For the Cilantro Avocado Sauce
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ½ of a large avocado
- Juice of half a lime
- Pinch of Salt
- Make Cilantro Avocado Sauce: In a food processor, combine all ingredients and puree until smooth. Add more salt to taste. Set aside to chill.
- Rinse jasmine rice with water. Drain. Pour into a small pot with 2 ½ cups salted water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 12 minutes, until rice is tender and water has been absorbed. Remove from heat, add lime zest and fluff with a fork. Set aside and keep warm.
- While rice is cooking, add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a large skillet. Over medium high heat, add shrimp, a pinch of salt and pepper, and sauté until shrimp are cooked through.
- Add chili garlic sauce, lime juice and minced garlic. Cook about 2 minutes, until heated through.
- Heat up tortillas. Place a large spoonful of lime jasmine rice and a handful of cabbage coleslaw mix into each tortilla. Top each tortilla with about 4 shrimp plus pan sauce. Drizzle with cilantro avocado sauce, chopped peanuts, and fresh cilantro leaves and serve with a few lime slices.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins