I have to admit, until recently, wings were another bullet point on my list of things I "don't do". Old black and white films, nonfiction bestsellers, eggplant, and smoothies (also until recently) are just a few other items on this rapidly decreasing, apparently utterly ridiculous list. Because let's be serious. Wings are delicious. Which is why I'm so exited to share these Sweet and Spicy Baked Orange Chicken Wings with you.
In case you'e flipping out about that first sentence where I said chicken wings weren't my thing, don't fret! I think I've figured out my issue: if they're not crispy, it's not happening.
It's like a mealy apple. You take a bite of that awesome looking, shiny piece of fruit aaaaand it's mushy and gross. Same with an "un-crispy" chicken wing. I can't handle it. Do you agree? Well never fear! I've discovered that by baking them, like these Sweet and Spicy Baked Orange Chicken Wings, you not only skip the fattening fry step but pretty much guarantee a perfectly crispy skin on every piece!
This is actually one of my favorite go to recipes because these wings can be served either as a snack slash appetizer or pile them on top of rice for a delicious entreé. Easy to make AND easy to clean! None of that deep frying mess and you get to nix those unnecessary calories. Dan even loved these! And he's a die hard chicken wings fan 😉 usually the spicier the better!
So without further ado! The recipe for Sweet and Spicy Baked Orange Chicken Wings in 3...2...1...Print
For the Wings
- 2 lbs wings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Black and white sesame seeds, thinly sliced chives to garnish.
For the Glaze
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (add more to make spicier wings)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F. Prepare a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Pat chicken wings dry with a paper towel. In a large bowl, toss chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper. Lay in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake chicken wings for 30 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned.
- While chicken is baking, make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together water and corn starch. In a small pot, whisk together all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in corn starch slurry and bring back to a boil. Turn heat down to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until liquid is slightly reduced and thickened. Turn heat off and remove to a warm place until chicken wings are cooked through.
- Drizzle cooked chicken wings liberally with sweet and spicy orange glaze. Place back in the oven and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, until browned and crispy.
- Remove from oven and garnish with sesame seeds and chives.