Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup. What a godsend on a day like this: dark, dreary, and rainy. It’s really winter my friends. Of course, it’s a well established fact that I love the rain. But the dark, dark grey for days and days on end can get a bit hard to deal with sometimes. Especially when it’s midnight dark by 5 p.m. :-/
Slowly but surely though, the daylight increases! And I promise you this hearty soup will make your dreary day a million times better.
Jam packed with nutritious vegetables and chicken, this colorful Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup will get you all those vitamins you need in the dead of winter while still tasting like buttery, creamy, cheesy, goodness.
Seriously though. This recipe has spinach, tomato, onion, celery, and carrot in the veggie section, chicken in the protein section, and yumminess in the tortellini cheese section.
Also, did I mention how easy this soup is to make?? No? Let me enlighten you:
All done in one pot.
I shall repeat: One large pot and you’re good to go. A hearty, nutritious and absolutely delectable soup that’s done in one pot. And on dreary days like this, a super easy and colorful Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup recipe for dinner might just make you smile 🙂Print
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 12 ounces three cheese tortellini
- 1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated for garnish
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and saute until onion starts to become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
- Add flour and saute until it just starts to darken, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and diced tomatoes, scraping off the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken broth, milk and shredded chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Add tortellini and spinach and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until tortellini is tender and most of them float on the top of the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with Parmesan cheese garnish.