- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 12 ounces three cheese tortellini
- 1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated for garnish
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and saute until onion starts to become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
- Add flour and saute until it just starts to darken, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and diced tomatoes, scraping off the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken broth, milk and shredded chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Add tortellini and spinach and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until tortellini is tender and most of them float on the top of the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with Parmesan cheese garnish.