October! It's October! YES! Which means...it's pumpkin time! Pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin 🙂 I don't actually make that many things with pumpkin to be honest but it's just SO exciting that it's finally fall, I had to hop on the band wagon as they say.
And this week we have....
(Real!) Candied Pecan Pumpkin Spice Waffles! I only write (Real!) because of that teensy Starbucks snafu. Now who doesn't love a pumpkin infused breakfast in Autumn? I also recently inherited a fabulous waffle maker from my grandma, and have been dying to try it out.
Homemade waffles are WAY easier than you might think. It's like making pancakes but without the flipping issue. Pour batter into waffle maker. Close waffle maker. Wait. Open waffle maker. Remove beautiful, delicious waffles. And done. DONE! If you can't tell, I had a blast making waffles.
For the Waffles:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 3 egg whites
- 1 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Slabs of butter, banana and maple syrup to garnish
For the Pecans:
- 1 cup pecans
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat a waffle iron. Prepare with cooking spray.
- For the pecans: Heat a skillet over medium heat. Melt butter and add pecans, cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg. Cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently to avoid the pecans sticking together. Remove them to piece of parchment paper and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugars, salt and pumpkin pie spice together.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolk, milk, vegetable oil, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract together.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold into waffle mixture until just combined.
- Bake in waffle iron according to manufacture's instructions. (Should take about 4-5 minutes to come out nice and browned.)
- Top with pecans, banana slices and maple syrup. Serve immediately.