Grilled cheese. A staple of childhood. Well, let's be a honest. A staple for life really. Growing up, my mom always made the best grilled cheese. Dad? Not so much 🙂 You may think, eh grilled cheese? Easy peeze. It's simple for sure, but to get that perfectly buttery, crunchy but NOT burnt bread and ooey gooey melted cheese, there's a smidge of technique required.
Have any of you seen Chef? If so, the grilled cheese scene? Also the scene in the credits with Roy Choi? If you have, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
If not, basically Roy Choi is the master. And he's absolutely right. Look for heat! Once you've found the hottest part of the pan, move your sandwich around that area to get all surfaces of the bread nice and toasted, but don't leave it there! You're beautiful bread will turn black. Although I'd totally still eat it. Best Ever Classic Grilled Cheese CANNOT go to waste my friends!
Speaking of the actual sandwich, I like to add a little pizzazz for us adults. Spread some goat cheese on one side, and use cheddar AND monterey jack cheeses. Brings a little depth to the sandwich, a little more flavor! Now go indulge and enjoy in a little piece of childhood, I know I will!Print
- Sourdough bread, 8 slices
- Cheddar cheese, 3 thin slices per sandwich (about 12 slices)
- Monterey Jack cheese, 3 thin slices per sandwich (about 12 slices)
- Chevre goat cheese, 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- Spread a thin layer of butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Spread a thin layer of goat cheese on the non buttered side of each slice of bread.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt a large spoonful of butter in the pan.
- Add 4 slices of bread to the pan (or however many will fit. This may be done in batches). Top these slices of bread with 3 slices of Cheddar cheese and 3 slices of Monterey Jack cheese. Grill for a couple minutes until cheese starts to melt and bread has started to brown.
- Place the other slices butter-side-up on top of the cheese, press down and flip the sandwich over.
- Grill other side until cheese is completely melted and bread is golden.
- Serve with tomato soup and eat immediately!