Wow guys. I got knocked out this past week. I've been doing some serious couch duty with a massive head cold, first one in a long time. Oh the perils of working in early childcare. I did manage to cook up one thing in the past 7 days (it's been a looonnngggg week). When I'm sick, it's soup time all the time. Ergo, Healthy and Hearty Potato Leek soup!
Another fabulous recipe from my mom, this soup is simple and basic, easy to make, yet wonderfully flavorful and perfect to bring your spirits back up after a trying day (or days....let's be real). Best of all? Just FIVE ingredients! That's right. Five. And that includes salt.
You won't find any heavy cream in this recipe! Just a smidge of butter to sweat down those leeks. I do like the flavor that the butter adds to this soup, but you can easily switch it out for olive oil for an even healthier and vegan alternative! You'll never go back to those heavy cream potato leek days once you've tried this!Print
- 4 large leeks, cleaned and leafy green end removed
- 4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 - 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons salt (to taste)
- Ground black pepper and sliced chives to garnish
- Cut leeks in half lengthwise and clean them by fanning them under water to remove dirt. Slice thinly, about ¼ inch thick.
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add leeks and salt, sweat down for 7 to 10 minutes, until leeks are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth. Turn up to medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through and break apart from the touch of a spoon.
- Remove about ½ the soup from the pot and blend in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pour back into the pot.
- Add salt and ground black pepper to taste, garnish with sliced chives.