I think we’ve hit it. I think it’s finally here. The dog days of summer. The end of August always turns into a weather nightmare and I truly think it’s arrived. It seemed the heat had left us, but its back. In a BIG way. Seattle over 90 degrees is not a happy place. I have a few ways of dealing with this. First, move as little as possible. Second, BLAST that air conditioner in the living room until your freezing and need a blanket. Then and only then can you turn it off. Thirdly, any cooking with heat of any kind can take no longer than 20 minutes. 20 MINUTES! (“Clueless” anyone?). But I’ve done one better. How about 15 MINUTE Tomato Spinach Spaghetti??
Confession: I definitely should be telling you all about this 15 minute tomato spinach spaghetti (it’s totally awesome I promise) but I can’t stop watching Parks and Recreation.
Seriously I. Can’t. Stop. All the netflix binging right now. It’s hysterical and ridiculous and I love it. It’s helping me decompress from the hectic insanity that is my life lately. Forget the fact that my wedding is literally days away, did I tell you how my car got hit recently parked outside my house? The driver was exceedingly nice, very considerate and helpful, no issues whatsoever. However, someone ELSE has now hit my car, a few days later. Again, parked outside my house. No note and WAY more damage. On the opposite side of the vehicle.
Aaaaand cue Parks and Rec. Literally as I type this it’s on pause on the background of my computer waiting for me to finish this post. As is my glass of wine.
OK rant over. This 15 minute tomato spinach spaghetti. As the name suggests, it only takes 15 minutes!!! Which is amazing in this summer heat. Only a few ingredients and you’ve got a solid pasta dish that you’ll be making all year long.
Want to know a secret? Dan created this meal 😍. I was hungry, he said we had pasta, and he came up with this!!! Who knew right?? I just love him ❤️. He threw together a sauce with tomatoes, spinach, garlic, onion, basil and oregano and it was ready to go in 10 minutes. He even added a little kick with red chili pepper flakes!
OK. I’m going to go watch some more Parks and Rec and enjoy this glass of wine. It’s been a long week and it’s only Wednesday. Recipe coming up….
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 28 ounces diced canned tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 3-4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese to garnish
- Cook spaghetti to al dente according to box instructions. Drain and pour back into pot. Add butter and stir to coat. Cover and set aside.
- While spaghetti is cooking, heat olive over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and spinach to the pan. Cook 3-4 minutes, until spinach has somewhat wilted and garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes, herbs and chili flakes. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over buttered pasta and stir to coat.
- Garnish with a little fresh basil and parmesan shavings.
If you make this recipe, please be sure to take a photo and tag it with #aberdeenskitchen. I can't wait to see what you cook up!