I MADE CRAB CAKES!!! Well, more like seafood cakes but whatever. Turns out crab can be ridiculously expensive but never fear! I have a solution: pan fried cod crab cakes 😍.
Use a fresh filet of cod and give a quick poach. Then flake it up and combine everything in a bowl. Form patties, chill, sauce, boom. The best seafood appetizer ever.
How to Get Perfectly Golden Pan Fried Cod Crab Cakes
I did some research and I have found the secret for you! The ensure that crispy, crunchy, golden crust...spread a little bit of butter or mayo on the patties just before frying them up! Also, make sure the oil is shimmering hot in the pan to avoid any sogginess. That's it!
Ready to get crackin'? Recipe below!
Seared on the stove to golden perfection, this classic seafood appetizer is filled with flaky, poached cod, and hunks of delicious crab meat. Dairy free!
- 1 lb fresh cod filet
- 2 lemon wedges
- ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces cooked crab meat, flaked into small chunks*
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parsley, roughly minced
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Canola oil for pan frying
- Lemon slices, for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a gentle boil. Place cod filet, lemon wedges, bay leaf, and peppercorns in the water. Poach cod until just beginning to whiten all the way through, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from water and let cool.
- Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and green onion and cook until garlic is fragrant and green onion has begun to wilt, about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let cool. Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, mayonnaise, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper until combined.
- Add panko, parsley, and the cooked garlic and green onion, stirring until combined.
- Gently flake the poached cod into the mixture, trying to keep at least half of the flakes as whole as possible. Add the flaked crab and gently stir until just combined.
- Using your hands, form 12 to 16 ½-inch thick patties and place on a plate. Chill in the refrigerator for 25-30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil in the non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Working in batches, cook the patties until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and serve immediately with lemon slices and any remaining parsley and green onion.
Crab can be expensive. Do you have a favorite canned crab meat? No judgement here! Just drain it before using and continue on with the recipe.
For ane xtra crispy outside, spread a little mayo or butter on each side of the cake patties!