HI friends! It's been a minute hasn't it? Gotta say up front, I'm not fully back in the kitchen but I'm working on it. It's going to be just a post once or twice a week for a little bit until I'm 100% ready to go. To reassure you, I'm doing fine, just dealing with some health stuff, and I promise I'll let you know what's been going on when the time is right. Now, onto food! We've hit a little bit of "June Gloom" so even though it might be summer time, I'm feeling soup. A nice, warm, comforting, bowl o' soup. And what would could more comforting than creamy chicken noodle soup?
I'm gunna be honest with you. This is not a "skinny" soup, and it's worth every. Single. Spoonful. Chockfull of nutritious veggies, protein, and farfalle pasta, this recipe has little something in it for everyone.
Oh and the best part? It's all done in ONE pot! Even the chicken and pasta. No need to cook either before hand!
Ready for warm, steaming bowl of creamy chicken noodle soup? Scroll down for the recipe 😎!Print
Classic, comforting, hearty chicken noodle soup in a rich, creamy broth all made in one pot!
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup white wine or white wine vinegar
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk (I used skim milk, but any milk fat percentage is fine!)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream, scalded
- 2 cups farfalle noodles, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose, unbleached flour
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped for garnish
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel. Season both sides of each thigh liberally with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large stew pot over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cover the pot with a lid. Cook for 5-7 minutes until golden brown on bottom, remove lid and flip chicken breasts over. Cook for another 5-7 minutes, covered with lid, again until golden brown and cooked through (temperature reaches 165˚F). Remove to a bowl, shred with two forks, and set aside.
- Pour half of the wine into the pan. Deglaze the pan by scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pot (keeping it in the pot!).
- Add unsalted butter to the pot. Once melted, stir in the onion, carrot and celery. Stirring frequently, cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Sprinkle flour over the veggies. Stirring frequently, cook until the flour starts to turn golden brown, 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the remaining white wine into the pot, scraping up browned bits on the bottom.
- Pour the chicken broth and milk into the pot. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, add farfalle pasta, cover with a lid, and cook for about 20 minutes, until pasta is al dente.
- When the pasta is cooked through, remove the pot from heat. Slowly pour in the scalded cream and stir to combine. Make sure it's still warm or it will curdle!
- Add fresh dill, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.