Baked goods Thursday? Shall we make this a thing? How about a little morning snack on the go? Intro: breakfast zucchini walnut muffins!
I'm going to level with you here. These are basically the same as my carrot walnut muffins...but with zucchini 🤷🏼♀️. It's been a bit of a rough go of it lately, so sometimes you just gotta bake what you know. And in any case, totally different veggie, same delicious taste!
Also cool side note, these muffins are on the (somewhat) healthier side. Yes they still have sugar, because yum. But they ALSO have half whole wheat flour, apple sauce as an extra sweetener, and coconut oil instead of veggie oil or butter. Speaking of which, these little morsels are dairy free!
Scroll down to grab the quick, easy, and oh so delicious breakfast zucchini walnut muffins recipe!Print
30 minute, delicious muffins on the healthier side chock full of veggies, perfect for breakfast or a snack on the go!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups zucchini, grated*
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup + 2 tbsp applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and all spice until thoroughly combined.
- In another mixing bowl or stand mixer, whisk together sugar, egg, vanilla extract and salt. Add in zucchini, walnuts, applesauce, and vegetable oil and whisk until combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each one about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Remove muffins to a wire rack and cool for another 5 minutes.
You can also use zucchini "zoodles", just roughly dice them before mixing them into the batter.