In the spirit of healthy January, I tried something new and I loved it: healthy baked apple chips! Whenever I try and be a little more aware of nutrition and balance, I find I'm generally quite lacking in the snacks department. Actually, that's not entirely true. I've got tons of granola and snack bars up my sleeve but I really just wanted something super simple. Enter these delicious baked apple chips.
So when I say simple, I mean super, super, simple. Like two ingredients simple.
Apples + cinnamon. That's literally it. You can add sugar but in my humble opinion, you really don't need to. Red apples tend to be sweet enough on their own!
These baked apple chips are so tasty and SO easy, you'll never buy a store-bought bag again! No weird ingredients, no added sugar, and so simple to make and clean up.
Speaking of which, lemme show you:
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Oh ps. Don't expect these to last too long! We are this entire batch in less than two days. Scroll down for the recipe!Print
Healthy Baked Apple Chips - This simple, delicious snack only calls for two ingredients (yup - just two) and is vegan and gluten free!
- 3 to 4 red apples (I used pink lady apples)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 225˚F. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a mandolin, thinly slice apples to ⅛ of an inch for optimal crispy chips. You can use a chef's knife but it's much harder to get the apple slices thin enough. The thicker they are, the chewier they become.
- Place apple slices on prepared baking sheets in an even layer. Dust both sides of the apple slices with cinnamon.
- Place both baking sheets in the oven. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from heat and flip apples over. Cook for another hour and 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and let the apple slices sit inside the oven for one more hour. Remove from oven and store in an air tight container. Enjoy!