Aaaand back to the orange recipes 🤣. If you're looking to step up your sweet potato game (and nix the marshmallows), look no further! Say hello to this sweet potato cranberry casserole.
Adapted from Taste of Home Magazine, this recipe uses fresh orange juice, flavorful spices, fresh cranberries, and even a Granny Smith apple to add a little pizzaz to the traditional Thanksgiving dish.
Vegetarian and gluten free, it's super easy to make and done in less than an hour. Literally just mix the casserole ingredients in a bowl and dump them into a greased casserole dish.
Oh and there's also a delicious topping for extra yums! Mix together in a small bowl, drizzle on top of the casserole, and bake. That's it! Garnish with some pomegranate arils for extra seasonal flavor.
So! Skip the pineapple and marshmallow bake this year with a sweet potato cranberry casserole. Grab the recipe below!Print
Jazz up your go to sweet potato bake by replacing the old school marshmallow and pineapple toppings with flavorful, fresh, vegetarian and gluten free ingredients sure to wow your dinner guests!
For the Casserole
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
- ½ cup fresh cranberries
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
For the Topping
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- Fresh thyme leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease or butter a 9X13 casserole dish.
- Combine all the ingredients for the casserole in a large bowl until thoroughly mixed. Add to greased casserole dish in an even layer.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the topping (except the pomegranate seeds and thyme) in a small bowl until completely mixed. Drizzle evenly over the casserole.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. If the top starts to get too browned, cover with a piece of foil and continue to cook until fork tender.
- Remove to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and serve.